All you've got is all you can give and that will ALWAYS be enough.


Monday, April 19, 2010

Autism Awareness Month

April is Autism Awareness Month.  I have spent the month thinking about all of the amazing things that make Owen great.

A few days ago, he took $2.00 out of his piggy bank.  We asked him why he was taking it and he said he wanted to buy something at school.  We just didn't press the issue (unusual for us, but we didn't).  Today he came home with the note below:

This is why he needed the $2.00.  He wanted to buy an AUTISM BRACELET! If he only knew.  (He lost the bracelet before the end of the day, but who cares).  I told Brooklynn I will gvie her $2.00 to buy a bracelet tomorrow, she said, she has her own money.  AMAZING! I held back tears.

I have never sat down and explained what Autism is to Owen, and I definitely haven't told him that this effects him personally. This is something that I struggle with. I have no idea when or how I will explain to my wonderful, amazing baby that he has Autism. Reality is, his life will have more challanges (like life isn't hard enough) then the average kid.  How do I explain this...? I wonder if he already knows, he is a good listener.

My Baby.....

No comments:

Post a Comment