All you've got is all you can give and that will ALWAYS be enough.


Saturday, April 21, 2012

Confidence

Over the past Two weeks the 3rd-5th grade has endured what is called MAP Testing. It is a grade level aptitude test (Missouri Assessment Program) that for Owen, and all other Missouri 3rd Graders, tests them on Communication Arts and Mathematics. Early in the school year Donn & I met with his education team to update his IEP and decide what if any modifications or allowances needed to be made for Owen to take this test. i.e. extra time, possibly allow him to type his work rather then write with a pencil, or someone to take his dictation. We ended with no modifications and rolled the dice, crossed our fingers and hoped for the best. I looked at it as learning experience, this is his first time taking the test and if ANY modifications were made his scores would be excluded from the school average. I had faith that Owen’s grade would help the average not hurt the average.

It is preached to parents “make sure your kids get a good night sleep, have a healthy breakfast, ‘BEST FOOT FORWARD’ type of stuff”. Each day during the testing cycle, I would pick Owen up and ask him how testing was and he would say “good” or “fine”. At the end of week two when it was all over he said “I don’t think I missed any”. No anxiety there…. I’m glad we decided for the no modification. Regardless of how he did, I’m proud of his confidence. The feeling of leaving a test and feeling good about it – THAT is a great feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment