All you've got is all you can give and that will ALWAYS be enough.


Thursday, April 5, 2012

Earn It Back

Over something ridiculous, Brooklynns favorite toys of the moment have been ‘put on restriction’ (the toy – her Littlest Pet Shop figurines). I was very upset with her so I probably gave her toys a harsher punishment then Brooklynn deserved but they are banished to a box in the basement for three weeks. It was that or the trash can so Brooklynn was just fine with restriction. We are 4 days into the incarceration and last night I asked Brooklynn to sort some laundry (at this point in the blog I wound completely understand if everyone pictured me napping all the time and my kids as slave laborer, it is true, they probably do more chores then most kids their age, but I had to and I think I am better for it, I have a strong work ethic and I am bound and determined to instill the same in my kids – I digress) and fold a load of kitchen towels and put them away and empty the dishwasher. There was only a small amount of “but, mmmoommm” involved and at the end of it she was allowed to select ONE pet to be set free. She was SO excited. I explained to her that her hard work was ‘earned’ this pets freedom. I saw her wheels turning, I think if we had a fence she would be painting it right now in an attempt to free them all.

So – the ‘something ridiculous’ that she did to land her pets in jail. Saturday morning she got down the donut holes and Owen asked her for one (this is a stray from his normal breakfast routine, and she darn well knew it) and she quickly shoved all FOUR of them in her mouth so he couldn’t have any. I lost my mind! ONE, he asked for ONE! Her justification for making a greedy piglet of herself “Four is the number that I eat for breakfast so I couldn’t share”.

One thing that I can say about both of my kids – neither of them like seeing the other one being punished. I think it was as hard on Owen to see me almost throw away the Littlest Pet Shops as it was for Brooklynn. She threw herself on the ground begging me not to do it, so restriction it was. Brooklynn would have done the same thing, and pleaded for leniency for Owen. Sweet kids, I hope the protection lasts a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment