All you've got is all you can give and that will ALWAYS be enough.


Monday, April 23, 2012

Grateful to other moms!

Brooklynn has a very full social schedule.  VERY full, we have several birthday parties each month and I am grateful that she has so many friends.  I would like to add that she has good taste in friends also, I have yet to worry about the kids she hangs out with.  She has a wide variety and they are all very well-mannered and friendly.   Owen on the other hand doesn’t have the social schedule that Brooklynn has.  I think it is partially by choice.  He prefers quiet conversation and doesn’t like to go outside (this crosses off 75% of most boys his age) and since he doesn’t usually initiate conversations he is held back a bit in the “making friends” department.  I remind him that it is QUALITY of FRIENDS not the QUANITY of FRIENDS.  He is smart enough to understand and so far this is good enough for him.  He values the friends he has and he’s good with it.   This past weekend Owen was invited to his first birthday party of 3rd grade (yep , his first, kind of sad, but I’m hoping that there are just less boy birthday parties – PLEASE DO NOT CORRECT ME, my gentle heart cannot take it).  Owen was invited to this same boys birthday last year (a sleepover and made it to about 2:30AM before I was called to come get him “he just wanted to come home, he didn’t feel good”.  This didn’t upset me, I was more worried that the parents were never going to let him cover over again).  So when we got the invitation again this year I WAS SO THANKFUL! And OWEN WAS SO EXCITED.  All week he talked about how it was going to be “Epic” and “How he was so excited”.  He gave serious consideration to the gift that he got him, it was very wonderful to watch him think of someone else.   Time came to go to the party.  I dropped him off and gave the mom my cell phone and home phone numbers just in case and thanked her for inviting him.  All night I checked my phone waiting for a call.  Hoping that he would either make the whole night (or call before I fell asleep).  NOPE! 2:30 I got the call, “Owen is ready to come home”.  The best part and what I am so thankful for, not even a hint of judgment in this mom’s voice.  No “it’s 2:30 and your son is keeping me awake” it was one mom talking to another mom with only caring in her voice and I was so so grateful, I’m sure a houseful of nine year old boys is exhausting and add a needy one to the mix can’t help!  When I got there, Owen bolted to the car, I collected his things and I thanked her for trying, and her response, “We’ll try again!”   If my arms weren’t loaded down with his backpack and sleeping bag I think I would have hugged her.   Thank you God for people like her!  

2 comments:

  1. Sarah- Owen is very special to so many people and Max was so glad he was able to come for as long as he could! We will try again! Hugs! Xxoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen! I am so glad that YOU got to read this and know how much I appreciate your kind heart. Max's friendship to Owen is a blessing.

      Delete