All you've got is all you can give and that will ALWAYS be enough.


Thursday, March 29, 2012

Temple Grandin

I attended an Asperger’s/Autism lecture a few weeks ago held at Lindenwood University and I was moved to tears.  Temple Grandin was inspiring and insightful.  I was given a needed boost that we are moving in the right direction with Owen and my biggest question “How and When should I tell Owen about his Asperger’s?” was answered.

Temple said (and this is super paraphrasing, so please Temple, do not sue me) “I hate it when 12 years come up to me and tell me about their autism or Asperger’s, I want to hear about their science projects! AND they better have pictures of it on their IPODS!”  Everyone clapped at this.  I took it as, who cares when as long as when you do they know this is NOT who they are it is just a part of who they are, it DOES NOT DEFINE THEM.  I’m not closer to deciding how or when I will tell Owen but I have less of a need to tell him.  I am in no hurry.  I know what dies define him is his overall GREATNESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment