All you've got is all you can give and that will ALWAYS be enough.


Monday, March 29, 2010

Getting Fat

I'm not sure if I have documented the concerns we have regarding Owen's size. We made the decision about a year ago to medicate him for his ADHD (50% of children with Aspergers have ADHD). The worst side effect that we have found with his medication is weight loss. Prior to beginning medication Owen was average size, maybe a little tiny bit under weight. Since he began taking the medication he has lost 6-10 pounds (all while gaining inches in height).

Owen can fore go eating, he can skip meals completely. The doctor has suggested that we give him meal replacement shakes at bedtime if fails to take in enough calories. The problem, Owen has decided to obsess about his weight. He has decided that he is fat, he stood in the shower last night and looked down at his body and told me, "I'm getting fat, I think I ate too much salad".

WHAT? When did kids (especially seven year old boys) start obsessing about their weight??!!

1 comment:

  1. Tell him not to look at Abby or Brooklynn's hoda bellies! xoxo

    ReplyDelete