All you've got is all you can give and that will ALWAYS be enough.


Monday, March 1, 2010

Judgement By Others...

I attended an Autism Workshop this weekend. It was very informative. The focus was on strategies parents and teachers could use to help children cope with the struggles of autism, specifically Aspergers (the prefect workshop for me).

There was a lot of cross talk supported by the presenter; teachers asking parents “what should I tell a parent?”…parents offering others parents advice. One teacher said, not looking at any parents “Is this being over diagnosed? Is this just a problem with parenting?” I felt the heat rise within me. In the year and a half that I have known what the problem was I have never felt so mad. I have never thought I was a perfect parent, but to have a teacher (a person that has influence on children with and without disabilities) state aloud in a room full of parents of children with autism such an inflammatory statement… she nearly saw the ugliest side of me… I shot daggers at the back of her head the remainder of the workshop. I feel sorry for the children that are in her class and the parents have their children enrolled in her class.

After the class, I counted my blessings for the support system I have, the teachers that make such an amazing difference in Owen’s life; the friends that let me vent. And most importantly, I thanked God for Owen, one of my greatest blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment